By now you have decided what webhost and blogging platform to choose when starting your blog.
We are going to learn today some of the top 7 WordPress plugins that are must have for your new blog or if you are thinking of improving your current blog. Let’s get right to it.
1. Coming Soon & Maintenance Mode
It is very important to have this coming soon/maintenance plugin to enable you build your blog completely and make it ready for launch. You do not want your visitors to see your website before it is complete and ready for public visits.
Think of this plugin as a notice for under construction or renovation sign for your favorite pizza or burger restaurant, this will let visitors keep checking when the paint is dried and new furniture placed.
The maintenance setting will enable your new and regular users to be notified to come back in a short while.
Here are some of our favorite plugins
(i) Coming Soon Page & Maintenance Mode by SeedProd
This is our favorite plugin, it allows you to create a simple Coming Soon Page or Maintenance Mode Page. It has a very easy dashboard that will give you check boxes, and a text area to add the notice you would like your visitors to read, it also has an image upload link for a fancy logo or under construction image.
It comes with two options to work on your site in private while visitors see a either a“Coming Soon” or “Maintenance Mode” page.
The has both free and premium options and you can Upgrade to Coming Soon Page Pro to Unlock All the Features ! »
(ii) Ultimate Coming Soon, Maintenance Mode Plugin for WordPress – Everest Coming Soon Lite
Another plugin is the Everest Coming Soon Lite – an ultimate WordPress coming soon plugin. The plugin is comes prepackaged with 2 beautifully pre-designed coming soon page templates. You can select any and create the most appealing maintenance pages faster than ever. It is also highly flexible plugin which authorize you full control to configure most of its components as per your preference.
This plugin also has premium features
- For premium upgrades, please go here
Some Useful Links
- Support Forum Link: http://accesspressthemes.com/support/
- Website Link: http://accesspressthemes.com/
- Youtube channel link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjZNcVG3fDE
For complete information and documentation regarding plugin,please visit below links.
2. WP Edit
WordPress by default comes with very few word processing tools, however to come up with great content you need a full array of tools to make your blog great. We have one free awesome tool that can accomplish that. Welcome to fermium plugin WP Edit.
This plugin allows you to take control of the default WordPress editor and unlock the power of additional editor tools. Arrange buttons into toolbars the way you want; to ease your workflow. WP Edit adds dozens of additional custom options to the WordPress editor.
WP Edit will provide new buttons, additional options, and extended formatting abilities to the existing content editor.
- Easily insert images, media, YouTube videos, and clip art.
- Create tables via a graphical interface.
- Adjust table cell border and background colors.
- No need to learn HTML and CSS (although the basics can certainly help); use buttons with visual interfaces instead!
- Easily access all shortcodes available to your WordPress environment; and insert them into the content editor.
- Use shortcodes to insert columns.. similar to “magazine” style layouts, in your content areas.
If you prefer more “dedicated” support, with more advanced and powerful plugin features, please consider upgrading to “WP Edit Pro”.
3. WordPress SEO by Yoast
Search engine optimization or simply SEO is one very important tool or action for your website. This is the process of increasing the visibility of your website, blog, image or even a just web page to a target users of a web search engine. Important to note is that this excludes the purchases of paid placements and only focussing on the improvement of unpaid results (known as “natural” or “organic” results).
Organic results give you the best reach,
For us Yoast is the most recommended among WordPresss plugins, and probably the most widely recommended SEO plugin for WordPress, and for a very good reason, the plugin comes with a host of useful features to not only optimize your website for search, but also an built-in content analysis functionality which helps you to optimize your content.
Remember sitemaps? Yoast automatically creates XML sitemaps to submit to Google, and they automatically update whenever you publish something new. Spiffy and cool isn’t it?
4. Blog Security; Wordfence
Website and blog security is very key, yuo want your users to access your website 24hrs, 7days a week without a risk of DDos, Web defacing, script injection and among others. look out for a detailed blog about blog security on our website.
WPChase proposes two of the most prominent web security plugins that are all free-premium, they are WordFence and Sucuri.
Wordfence is the most popular of the two WordPress plugins
(i.) Wordfence includes an endpoint firewall and malware scanner that were built from the ground up to protect WordPress. Our Threat Defense Feed arms Wordfence with the newest firewall rules, malware signatures and malicious IP addresses it needs to keep your website safe. Rounded out by a suite of additional features, Wordfence is the most comprehensive WordPress security solution available.
- Web Application Firewall identifies and blocks malicious traffic. Built and maintained by a large team focused 100% on WordPress security.
- [Premium] Real-time firewall rule and malware signature updates via the Threat Defense Feed (free version is delayed by 30 days).
- [Premium] Real-time IP Blacklist blocks all requests from the most malicious IPs, protecting your site while reducing load.
- Protects your site at the endpoint, enabling deep integration with WordPress. Unlike cloud alternatives does not break encryption, cannot be bypassed and cannot leak data.
- Integrated malware scanner blocks requests that include malicious code or content.
- Protection from brute force attacks by limiting login attempts, enforcing strong passwords and other login security measures.
WordPress plugin; Security Scanner
- Malware scanner checks core files, themes and plugins for malware, bad URLs, backdoors, SEO spam, malicious redirects and code injections.
- [Premium] Real-time malware signature updates via the Threat Defense Feed (free version is delayed by 30 days).
- Compares your core files, themes and plugins with what is in the WordPress.org repository, checking their integrity and reporting any changes to you.
- Repair files that have changed by overwriting them with a pristine, original version. Delete any files that don’t belong easily within the Wordfence interface.
- Checks your site for known security vulnerabilities and alerts you to any issues. Also alerts you to potential security issues when a plugin has been closed or abandoned.
- Checks your content safety by scanning file contents, posts and comments for dangerous URLs and suspicious content.
- [Premium] Checks to see if your site or IP have been blacklisted for malicious activity, generating spam or other security issue.
(ii.) Sucuri Inc. is a globally recognized authority in all matters related to website security, with specialization in WordPress Security.
The Sucuri Security WordPress plugin is free to all WordPress users. It is a security suite meant to complement your existing security posture. It offers its users a set of security features for their website, each designed to have a positive effect on their security posture:
- Security Activity Auditing
- File Integrity Monitoring
- Remote Malware Scanning
- Blacklist Monitoring
- Effective Security Hardening
- Post-Hack Security Actions
- Security Notifications
- Website Firewall (premium)
5. WP Smush for Image optimization
We just talked about SEO, your aim now is to ensure that your blog loads faster on all browsers and internet connections. Faster loading sites are more attractive to users.
Since pictures are part of a good blog, faster loading of your site pictures is necessary. This is where image compression comes in. WordPress has a host of image compression plugins to allow you to easily optimize images in WordPress for better speed and performance. Here we In this article, we propose WP Smush by WPMU DEV to resize, optimize, optimise and compress all of your images with the incredibly powerful and 100% free WordPress image smusher.
Some image compression tools destroy images with as much as a 30% loss in quality but this plugin looks to preserve image quality.
Some of its features:
- Lossless Compression – Strip unused data without affecting image quality
- Lazy Loader – Defer offscreen images with the flip of a switch
- Bulk Smush – Optimize up to 50 images with one click
- Image Resizing – Set a max width and height and large images will scale down as they are being compressed
- Incorrect Size Image Detection – Quickly locate images that are slowing down your site
- Directory Smush – Optimize images even if they are not located in the media library
- Automated Optimization – Asynchronously auto-smush your attachments for super fast compression on upload
- Unlimited & Free – Optimize all of your images up to 1MB in size forever (no daily, monthly, or annual caps)
- Gutenberg Block Integration – View all Smush stats directly in image blocks
- Multisite Compatible – Both global and individual Multisite settings
- Process All Your Files – Smush will process PNG, JPEG and GIF files for optimum results
- Super Servers – Smush images with no slowdown using WPMU DEV’s fast, reliable Smush API
- And many, many, more!
WPMU DEV is a premium supplier of quality WordPress plugins, services and support. Learn more here:
6. WP-Optimize for cleaning up the database
Your website my occasionally need cleaning for maximum efficiency. Theses includes all unnecessary data (e.g. trashed/unapproved/spam comments, stale data) plus pingbacks, trackbacks and expired transient options.
I recommend WordPress’s #1 most installed optimization plugin. With it, you can clean up your database easily and safely, without manual queries.
WP-Optimize helps you to:
- Make space: When you edit a post or page on your website, WordPress automatically saves the new revision to the database. If you edit things a few times (and particularly if the post is long), your database soon gets clogged up with old revisions that just sit there, taking up valuable space. WP-Optimize removes these unnecessary post revisions, freeing up valuable Megabytes of data and increasing speed and efficiency. It also cleans up your comments table, removing all the spam and un-approved comments that have built up with a single click.
- Take control: WP-Optimize reports on exactly which of your database tables have overhead and wasted space, giving you the insight, control and power to keep your website neat, fast and efficient.
- Keep it clean: Once enabled, WP-Optimize can run an automatic clean-up on a schedule, keeping a selected number of weeks’ data, according to your specification.
When you use this plugin for the first time or just updated to major version, make a backup of your database, although none of the queries used are dangerous on WP-Optimize, it is always the best practice to make a database backup before altering your database.
The free version of WP-Optimize is great, you can access more powerful features on the Premium version that offer the ultimate in freedom and flexibility.
That leads us to the other recommeded WordPress plugins in this list.
7. UpdraftPlus for Web backups.
You always need to back up your website to fix errors or just befor a major update for themes, plugins or even a migration to another host. We recommend UpdraftPlus among the other WordPress plugins. Backup on this plugin includes into the cloud directly to Dropbox, Google Drive, Amazon S3 (or compatible), UpdraftVault, Rackspace Cloud, FTP, DreamObjects, Openstack Swift, and email. The paid version also backs up to Microsoft OneDrive, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Storage, Backblaze B2, SFTP, SCP, and WebDAV.
UpdraftPlus Unlike many other plugins, promises the following
- Restores, as well as backing up
- Backs up to more cloud options than any others
- Allows you to set up automatic backup schedules, for the ultimate in convenience
- Is faster, using up fewer server resources
- Has been tested on over 1 million sites
Get the premium version and how it compares with the competition here