Jetpack is one of the most a popular WordPress plugins created by Automattic, the developers behind WordPress.com. The plugin comes with some of the most powerful features available on WordPress.com to self-hosted WordPress sites, and thereby contributing greatly to the improvement of WordPress powered blogs and websites.
Installing the Jetpack plugin
This document will help you install & connect Jetpack. If you are a developer, see also staging sites and development mode.
- A WordPress.com account (sign up)
- The latest version of WordPress
- Your site must be publicly available (no authentication required, maintenance mode off)
- XML-RPC enabled and publicly accessible
You can start by purchasing a Jetpack plan for a site that doesn’t already have Jetpack installed, we will then install it and set it up for you.
- Go to https://wordpress.com/jetpack/connect/store and select a plan.
- Enter your site URL (e.g. https://wpchase.com) and click Continue.
- Enter your WordPress administrator credentials for your site. Your credentials will not be stored and are used only for the purpose of installing Jetpack securely. Be sure to add the credentials for the wp-admin user account that you would like to connect to Jetpack.
- Wait for Jetpack to be installed.
- Complete the checkout process to purchase your Jetpack plan.
- Wait for the rest of the setup process to complete. The VaultPress and Akismet plugins will be installed automatically at this stage if they aren’t already.
- You’ll see a “Thank you for your purchase” message. Click Back to Your Site to go to your site’s Dashboard.
If there are any issues installing VaultPress or Akismet automatically, you can also install them manually.
If there are any issues installing Jetpack automatically or if you’d prefer to install it yourself, you can follow these steps.
- Log in to your site’s wp-admin dashboard:
- In the left menu, click Plugins, then Add New.
- The latest version of Jetpack will appear in the top of the default Featured plugins list. You can also search for “Jetpack”.
- Click Install Now.
- Wait for the installation to finish, then click Activate.
- Click Set up Jetpack.
- If you’re not already logged in, you’ll be prompted to log in to your WordPress.com account or to create a new account.
- Click Approve and wait for the connection process to finish.
- Select and purchase your plan or click Start with Free at the bottom of that page. You will be returned to your site’s wp-admin dashboard and see the message “Your Jetpack site is ready to go!”
- To active the list of default modules, click Activate recommended features.
- If you don’t see a Plugins menu in your dashboard, then your site is likely on WordPress.com and you don’t need Jetpack – its features are already built in.
- If you are using a Multisite installation, Jetpack must be connected individually for each site in the network. Any administrator can connect the site.
- Jetpack relies on a solid connection with your site for features such as Stats and Publicize to work. If you are experiencing issues, first verify that Jetpack is connected using the Jetpack debugger. You will know your site is correctly connected when the Jetpack debugger shows “Everything looks great!”
- Plugin conflicts can be a cause of issues. To check this, temporarily disable all plugins but Jetpack. If the issue disappears, enable one plugin at a time until the issue reappears. This will help you identify which plugin Jetpack is having trouble with. Ensure that your plugins are up to date.
- If you see a display issue, try temporarily switching to a default WordPress theme such as Twenty Seventeen. If the issue goes away, it is likely a problem with the theme. You can get in touch with the theme’s author for further help. Be sure to let them know the troubleshooting steps that you have tried.
Jetpack is your site’s security detail, guarding you against brute-force attacks and unauthorized logins. Basic protection is always free, while premium plans add expanded backup and automated fixes. Jetpack’s full suite of site security tools include:
- Brute-force attack protection, spam filtering, and downtime monitoring.
- Backups of your entire site, either once daily or in real time.
- Secure login, with optional two-factor authentication.
- Malware scanning, code scanning, and automated threat resolution.
- A record of every change on your site to simplify troubleshooting.
- Fast, priority support from WordPress experts.
Activate site accelerator tools and watch your page load times and hosting costs drop — we’ll optimize your images and serve them from our own powerful global network, and speed up your mobile site to reduce bandwidth usage (and save money!). Connect Jetpack to take advantage of:
- Elasticsearch-powered related content and site search, for relevant results with no drain on your servers.
- Lazy image loading for a faster mobile experience.
- Unlimited and high-speed video via our content delivery network.
Effortless Site Management
Create and customize your WordPress site, optimize it for visitors and revenue, and enjoy watching your stats tick up. Built it, share it, and watch it grow with:
- Advanced site stats and analytics for understanding your audience.
- Hundreds of professional themes, for a pro site no matter what your niche.
- Intuitive and powerful customization tools to match your website to your brand.
- Simple PayPal payment buttons for selling products and services.
- SEO tools for Google, Bing, Twitter, Facebook, and WordPress.com to maximize your reach.
- An advertising program that includes the best of AdSense, Facebook Ads, AOL, Amazon, Google AdX, and Yahoo.
- Integration with the official WordPress mobile apps, to manage your site from anywhere.